Impossible Objects is a rapidly growing organization in the dynamic and exciting 3D printing / additive manufacturing industry. We’re influencing change and challenging the ways in which companies manufacture products. Our award winning CBAM technology is cutting-edge, unique and focuses on producing high-performance composite parts at high speeds. Our technology is suited for a wide variety of industries including automotive, aerospace, medical products, consumer electronics and more.
Because of our continued growth, we are looking to expand our team with a mechanical engineering position. You will be joining a diverse group of individuals who have an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for challenging the status quo.
As a Mechanical Engineer your primary responsibility is to create hardware solutions for Impossible Objects’ products and internal systems. You will be responsible for working with the engineering team to design, develop and test new designs.
Technical prowess, teamwork and strong communications are key components for long-term growth and success. This position has a significant effect on the product direction, where you will be challenged to green-field new products with limited oversight, in an effort to advance a technology that is disrupting the manufacturing industry!
- Lead requirements meetings for mechanical and electro-mechanical design projects
- Develop product and subsystem design and performance specifications based on product requirements
- Design mechanical and electromechanical products and sub-systems per specifications
- Evaluate mechanical and electromechanical systems and products by designing and conducting research programs and applying principles of mechanics, thermodynamics, heat transfer, and materials
- Confirm system and product capabilities by designing feasibility, testing methods, and properties for prototypes, subsystems, and end product
- Prepare product reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends
- Identify issues, make recommendations, and carry out changes for resolving complex problems
- Make modifications to or upgrades existing products
- Enhance and improve existing technologies to apply to new solutions
- Make recommendations to immediate team to enhance performance and improve product quality
- Exercise sound judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions
- Provide complete end to end documentation for product design and engineering change orders
- Edit user documentation in regards to system specifications and operation
- Document, execute, and report on test plans to ensure designs are robust and meet all requirements
- Review test results and bug reports, perform root cause analysis and resolve highly complex technical issues
- Develop positive relationships with other company functions involved in the design, test, and implementation processes
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, participating in professional societies
- Bachelor of Engineering degree in mechanical engineering, or related field
- 5+ years related experience in development, design, and production of industrial equipment, machine tools, medical devices, or similar
- Proficient in CAD/CAM/CAE packages such as Onshape, Solidworks, or similar
- Proficient in Windows-based office applications including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to prototype and test designs
- Proficiency in fabrication equipment including hand tools, manual mills/lathes, CNC mills/lathes, laser-cutters, 3D printers
- Ability to focus on detail while prioritizing multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to apply an analytic, data driven approach to engineering work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Possesses dependability, integrity and the ability to work independently or on a multidisciplinary team
Additional Preferred Skills:
- 2+ years industrial 3D printing or traditional offset printing industry experience
- Experience with modern composites manufacturing techniques such as AFP/ATP, RTM, etc.
- Experience with modern polymer processing techniques such as injection molding, compression molding, extrusion, etc.
- Programming skills in C and Python